Contact: Steve Glueck
|Suzanne Stutzman – Chair||January 2016|
|Diane Chesbro – Vice Chair||January 2014|
|Casey Brown||January 2014|
|Matt Burde||January 2016|
|Don Cameron||January 2016|
|Stephen Cummings||January 2016|
|James Dale||January 2014|
|Amity Moore – Alternate||January 2014|
The Planning Commission, established in 1948, affords residents the opportunity to actively participate in the planning of the City and its welfare; to learn all facets of the regulations governing such functions; interact with a wide variety of citizens participating in the shaping of Golden’s future; and assume an active role in any regulation changes involving zoning and subdivision activity.
To contact any member of the Planning Commission, call the Planning Division at 303-384-8097 or write to Planning Commission, 1445 10th Street, Golden, CO 80401.
The Commission shall have general supervision of all planning for the development, expansion and growth of the City and shall, from time to time, prepare comprehensive long term plans for the growth and development of the City. In the preparation of such plans, the Commission shall have the authority to conduct open, public hearings, conduct investigations, studies, surveys, prepare maps, charts, exhibits, and reports as shall be necessary; and to perform all other acts and duties necessary to the promotion of public interest and understanding of its programs and plans.
In an advisory capacity, Planning Commission makes recommendations to City Council regarding:
- Opening, closing, vacating and abandoning streets, alleys and other public ways; the location, character and use of public ways, grounds and spaces; the general location of major public buildings, structures, and facilities.
- The location, maintenance, and operation of public ways including freeways, highways, streets, alleys, boulevards, parkways, waterways, airways, airports, and other public transportation and transit facilities now or hereafter established.
- The general location, character, extent and use of parks, playgrounds, community centers, squares, public buildings and structures.
- The location and extent of routes and rights-of-way of public utilities, whether publicly or privately owned.
- The acquisition, extension, widening, removal, vacating, or abandoning of any of the foregoing ways, open spaces or buildings.
- The study of a land use plan, showing the proposed general distribution, location and extent of residential area, industrial areas, and areas for recreation and education and other categories of public and private use of land.
- Standards and regulations affecting land subdivision.
- Regulations governing the use of land; the height, area, bulk and uses of public and private buildings and structures.
- The adoption of traffic regulations.
- The adoption of regulations and ordinances calculated to promote the healthful and convenient distribution of population in the City, for the promotion of public safety; for the promotion and development of attractive overall civic design and the development of natural resources of the City; for the promotion and development of metropolitan area planning, growth and expansion.
The Planning Commission is responsible to the City Council.
The Commission is comprised of seven members and one alternate; Chairperson and Vice Chairperson are selected from within the Commission by its members.
If you are interested in applying for a vacancy on the Planning Commission, you must be a resident of the City of Golden. Written applications may be obtained from and turned in to the City Clerk. Personal interviews are conducted by City Council. Appointment is by the Mayor and confirmed by a majority of the City Council.
The Planning Commission meets on the first Wednesday evening of each month in public hearing. These meetings take place in City Council Chambers, City Hall, 911 10th Street, Golden, Colorado 80401, at 6:30 p.m. Study sessions may be scheduled the third Wednesday of each month.