The City of Golden holds its general elections in odd numbered years on the first Tuesday of November (that’s November 7, 2017 this year).
The General Elections are coordinated with Jefferson County Elections and are mail ballot.
Golden voters will elect the positions of Councilors for Wards One, Two, Three and Four.
How to run
The requirements to run for office per the City of Golden Charter , Section 3.4 are as follows:
- Must be an elector (registered voter) of the City of Golden
- Must be a citizen of the United States for at least five years
- Have resided in the City for at least one year immediately preceding the election
- Must be a resident of the designated Ward to run for those seats, when nominated and elected.
Nomination petitions may be taken out and circulated beginning Tuesday, August 8. Petitions must be picked up from the City Clerk’s office. Nomination petitions will be due to the City Clerk by 5 p.m. on Monday, August 28.
Signature requirements for candidates are as follows:
- Must obtain 25 signatures from the Ward for which the candidate is running
- Must file a Candidate Affidavit per Golden Municipal Code Chapter 1.05 Campaign Finance within 10 days of getting the first signature on candidate’s nomination petition, or announcing intent to become a candidate.
How and when to vote
Special elections may be called by ordinance of the City Council and may be held at any time. Special elections are often held in conjunction with the Jefferson County Election, held in November of even-numbered years, or the Jefferson County Coordinated Election, held in November of odd-numbered years. Special elections are usually limited to consideration of ballot issues. Or can be on a different date and administered entirely by the Golden City Clerk.
All municipal elections are nonpartisan.