Most of Colorado (and all of Jefferson County) is in either an extreme or exceptional drought. As a result, Colorado has activated the municipal drought response of the state’s emergency drought plan in anticipation of a dry 2021. This drought designation calls on municipal water suppliers to begin coordinating a drought response with the assistance of the Colorado Water Conservation Board. In anticipation of continued drought conditions along the front range, Golden is asking water customers to implement the following voluntary restrictions for outdoor water use:
- No watering between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Limit watering to three days a week.
- Use a hose nozzle and shutoff when watering garden or washing cars.
- Avoid water waste that results in excessive runoff, pooling water, runoff to gutters, streets and alleys and watering or washing hard surfaces like driveways.
In addition, Golden requests the following best practices be considered:
- Wait to start watering until May. Leave lawn dormant a little longer than usual and hand water trees if necessary.
- Use the cycle and soak method to irrigate and adjust watering time each month. Watch a short video about how to implement cycle and soak.
- Check sprinkler system at the beginning of each month and adjust the time.
- Avoid watering during high winds and after rain.
- Repair sprinkler system leaks and breaks or turn off system.
- Let your grass grow longer between mowings.
- Sign up for AquaHawk and monitor your account for leaks, breaks, and unusual use. Check out our AquaHawk FAQs document for more information on how the service can help you identify leaks and save water and money.
And, as always please take advantage of city water conservation programs such as Garden In A Box, free irrigation audits, and our annual water-wise landscaping seminars. You can find information about these programs at www.cityofgolden.net/SaveWater. These programs will help us during this current drought and to meet our long-term conservation goal of reducing water use by 15% by 2030.