The City Clerk is the elections official for all regular and special elections in the City of Golden.
Regular municipal elections for the City of Golden are held on the first Tuesday in November in odd numbered years. Special elections may be called by ordinance of the City Council and may be held any time. Special elections are often coordinated with Jefferson County Elections but may be administered entirely by the Golden City Clerk, and are usually limited to consideration of ballot issues.
The General Elections are coordinated with Jefferson County elections and are mail ballot.
Various Ways to Register to Vote
- Online at govotecolorado.com
- By Mail – Colorado Voter Registration Form
- At a local Department of Motor Vehicle facility
- In person at the Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder’s office located at 3500 Illinois Street, Suite 1100, Golden at any time during which registration is permitted at the office, including on Election Day.
- In person at the Golden City Clerks Office at 911 10th St. during regular business hours.
Jefferson County’s website has registration forms and more information.
Electors must meet the following criteria to be eligible to vote:
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 18 years old on or before Election Day
- A resident of Colorado
- At your present address for 22 days prior to an election
The deadline to register to vote or change the address on a voter registration is now determined by the method voters choose to submit their registration.
How to Vote
General Elections are coordinated with Jefferson County elections. Ballots are mailed in advance, and voters are encouraged to drop their ballots off at an official ballot drop-box.
Ballots may also be returned by mail, but mailed ballots MUST be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day (postmarks don’t count!), so if you didn’t mail your ballot back early, don’t risk it. Take your ballot to one of the many official ballot drop boxes located in Jefferson County.
Ballot Drop Boxes
If you prefer to drop off your ballot, there are numerous ballot drop boxes in Jefferson County, including the 24-Hour Ballot Drop Box located in the entryway at Golden City Hall, 911 10th Street.
If you wish to vote in person, please visit the Jefferson County Elections page for information on Voter Service and Polling Centers (VSPC).
Who is on the City Council?
The Golden City Council includes seven members:
- A mayor elected at-large
- Four council members are elected from wards
- Two council members are elected from districts (each district is comprised of two wards, district one includes wards one and two and district two includes wards three and four)
The mayoral election is held every four years. The mayor and council members are elected to four-year terms and may serve two consecutive terms.
Municipal elections in Colorado are “nonpartisan,” meaning candidates do not run for election on a designated party ticket.