The City Clerk is the elections official for all regular and special elections in the City of Golden.
Regular municipal elections for the City of Golden are held on the first Tuesday in November in odd numbered years. Special elections may be called by ordinance of the City Council and may be held any time. Special elections are often coordinated with Jefferson County Elections but may be administered entirely by the Golden City Clerk, and are usually limited to consideration of ballot issues.
All municipal elections for elected officials are nonpartisan.
Golden residents are encouraged to vote in every election. Here are the various ways to register to vote:
- Online at govotecolorado.com
- By Mail – Colorado Voter Registration Form
- At a local Department of Motor Vehicle facility
- ANYTIME in person including Election Day at the Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder’s office located at 3500 Illinois Street, Suite 1100, Golden, CO 80401
To be eligible to register to vote you must be a US citizen, at least 18 years old on or before Election Day, a resident of Colorado and at your present address for 22 days prior to an election.
The deadline to register to vote or change the address on a voter registration is now determined by the method voters choose to submit their registration.
If you want to receive a mail ballot, you need to be registered to vote by Monday, October 28, 2019, which is eight days before Election Day.
The General Elections are coordinated with Jefferson County elections and are mail ballot.
2019 Regular Municipal Election – November 5, 2019
- Friday, October 11 – Ballots mailed out
- Monday, October 14 – Ballot Drop Boxes Open
- Monday, October 28 – Voter Service and Polling Centers Open
For more information visit Jefferson County Elections.
Mayoral & City Council Candidates
LGAA Golden City Council Candidates Forum
The Golden City Council includes seven members:
- A mayor elected at-large.
- Four council members are elected from wards.
- Two council members are elected from districts (each district is comprised of two wards – district one includes wards one and two and district two includes wards three and four).
The mayoral election is held every four years. The mayor and council members are elected to four-year terms and may serve two consecutive terms.
For election results visit www.jeffco.us/578/Election-Results
How to Run for Mayor or Councilor
On November 5, 2019, Golden voters will elect a new Mayor and Councilors for Districts One and Two.
To run for office, you must be a registered voter in the City of Golden; a citizen of the United States for at least five years; and reside in the City for at least one year immediately preceding the election (Golden City Charter, Section 3.4 ) Candidates must be a resident and elector (registered voter) of the City to run for the office of Mayor and a resident of the designated district to run for those seats, when nominated and elected.
Candidates must obtain signatures from 25 registered electors in the District for which the candidate is running. You must also file a Candidate Affidavit per Golden Municipal Code Chapter 1.05 Campaign Finance within 10 days of announcing your intent to become a candidate or getting your first signature on your nomination petition.
Contact the City Clerk for more information, 303-384-8014 or email@example.com.