Whether you are a renter, a homeowner, or someone interested in moving to our beautiful city, we invite you to explore the principles of housing defined by Golden Vision 2030 (a values document created with input from our community), and learn about what makes our community unique, welcoming, and full of “Heart & Soul.”
Guiding Principles on Housing
The “Heart & Soul Values” set out in the Golden Vision 2030 document includes values related to housing:
- The diverse housing options will provide opportunities to a wide spectrum of residents, and
- Our community values require that we direct and manage change, and assure smart growth, affordable housing, and sustainability.
Available vs. Affordable
Planning Commission and City Council examined the growing gap in the relationship between available Golden housing and affordable Golden housing:
- Nearly 50% of households making at or below 80% of the area median income ($90k) are considered cost-burdened for housing.
- The average cost to purchase a home in Golden is $1 million, which has doubled since 2015.
- The average rental rate in Golden for a 2-bedroom apartment is between $1600 and $1800, a 28% increase over the last 5 years.
A Housing Needs and Strategies Assessment, conducted in 2022, sought to understand existing housing and future needs in the city. The final report identified two major needs:
- The need to address Golden’s housing shortage for all incomes
- The need to remove barriers that currently restrict developing more housing.
Learn more about the Housing Needs and Strategies Assessment.