We’re switching to monthly billing!
As of January 2019, the City of Golden will be transitioning customers who are currently billed on a quarterly basis, to monthly billing. Customers will receive 12 smaller bills instead of 4 larger bills. Monthly billing should make it easier for customers, especially those on fixed incomes, to include the cost of water service in their monthly household budgets.
Benefits of monthly billing include:
- Consistency for planning monthly home budgets.
- Less fluctuation in billing amounts, especially after heavy usage periods.
- Monthly billing provides customers with more frequent and timely information about their water usage. This benefits customers in two ways:
- It allows customers to adjust their water usage habits if they feel they are using too much water.
- It allows customers to detect any leaks in their household plumbing sooner.
How will the transition to monthly billing happen?
All customers will receive a water bill in January. This bill will cover service fees and water usage from the last quarterly bill received until the billing date in January.
- For customers last billed in October: The January bill will cover service fees and water used from the end of the October bill through the January billing date. You will then be billed on a monthly basis thereafter.
- For customers last billed in November: The January bill will cover service fees and water used from the end of the November bill through the January billing date. You will then be billed on a monthly basis thereafter.
- For customers billed in December: The January bill will cover service fees and water used from the end of the December bill through the January billing date. You will continue to be billed on a monthly basis thereafter.
If you are enrolled in automatic payments, your account will be debited monthly instead of quarterly beginning in January 2019.
How do I sign up for the automatic payment program?
Automatic payments are now available for both credit card and e-check. The service is free, and you can discontinue it at any time. Register through our online payment portal.
Can I receive my water bill through email, instead of the regular mail?
Yes, join our paperless billing program simply by emailing email@example.com, and tell us you would like to change to paperless billing. Alternatively, you can call us at 303-384-8026. It is free and easy to do. You will also be able to view your current and past bills online by setting up an account at on our online payment portal.
Where can I get more information?
Our website will be updated as additional information is available, so check here for updates. If you have additional questions, contact our Utility Billing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-384-8026.
The Utility Billing department is responsible for producing and collecting water, wastewater, and drainage billings, which are mailed to customers within the city limits of Golden.
Methods of Payments
Pay your bill online through our online payment portal
Deliver your payment directly to City Hall at 911 10th St., from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Mail your payment to:
City of Golden
P.O. Box 5682
Denver, CO 80217-5682
*Please submit stub with payment.
Payments are accepted by credit card over the phone at 303-384-8000 or 303-384-8026, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Night Drop Box
Drop your payment off in the silver metal box mounted next to the main City Hall entrance at 911 10th St.
*Remember to always pay by check or money order when dropping off your payment in the night drop box.
Setup automatic payments via credit/debit card or electronic check through our online payment portal. Alternatively, you may complete the UB ACH Form and mail it to the City with a voided check. Please call 303-384-8026 if you have questions.
Utility Billing Inserts
City of Golden Rates
Quarterly Water Service Charge
|5/8 x 3/4||$13.29|
|1 1/4 & 1 1/2||$30.21|
|Per 1,000 gallons consumed||$5.26|
|BOD greater than 300 mg/l||$0.466049|
|Suspended solids greater than 330 mg/l||$0.261723|
- The quarterly wastewater service charge is $36.33 per quarter.
- Wastewater volume charge shall be $2.61 per thousand gallons consumed.
- Charges for wastewater for single-family residential and multi-family residential accounts are calculated based on the water usage during the quarter which includes the month of February.
- Should the customer’s usage in any following quarters drop below the usage for the quarter including February, the charge will automatically adjust down per the new usage charge.
- Commercial customers are billed for wastewater charges based on actual water usage per quarter.
- Single family residential accounts are charged $4.22 a month.
- Multi-family residential accounts are charged $4.22 a month per unit, not to exceed four units.
- Multi-family residential accounts that exceed four units and all commercial account are charged based on impervious area calculated in square feet. The rate is $.0022 per square foot per month of impervious area.
Payments are due on the last day of the month following the last day of the billing cycle. The City allows a 5-day grace period before assessing a delinquency charge of $10.00.
Transferring Water Service
If you are a tenant moving in or out of your residence in Golden, please fill out our Final Bill Request Form or contact us to transfer the water utility account: Call 303-384-8026 or email email@example.com.
Please note, there is a $25 charge to the currently billed party for final billing and account transfer.
If you are buying or selling a home, the title company generally facilitates the transfer.
If no final bill is needed, and only the name and/or mailing address needs to be updated, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-384-8026.
1. Do I need to include my remittance stub with payment?
We prefer to have your remittance stub to assist in proper processing of your payment. However, if you are missing your remittance stub or paying through online bill pay services, simply include your full 11 digit account number.
2. I sent payment through my bank, why is my bill past due?
Although deducted from your bank account, we do not receive payment immediately from your bank. Your bank writes a check and mails it, which can take 10 days for us to receive. Please allow extra time when paying your bill this way.
3. If my water is disconnected due to lack of payment, will paying my bill online reconnect service?
No, please contact the Utility Billing directly at (303) 384-8026 to have water service reconnected.
4. Why is my bill so high?
A very small leak can use a lot of water. A leak of only 1/16” can add over 70,000 gallons of water to your bill in one quarter. Water usage can increase for many reasons, including: leaky faucets, running toilets, visitors and irrigation schedule.
For more information on water usage and leaks, visit the EPA website.
If you had a leak, you can apply for the onetime lifetime sudden or severe leak rebate within 20 days of your heightened bill. Please see the ordinance and form below for details.
5. How do I set up automatic payments?
You can set up automatic payments by credit/debit card or electronic check directly on our online payment portal. Alternatively, you can set up automatic payments by bank account withdrawal by filling out the following form and returning it with a voided check.
6. Can I pay my bill with a credit card?
We offer automatic or one-time payment options online at no additional charge. Set up an account and make payments online.
7. How do I make changes to my account?
If you need to change your name or mailing address, contact us at email@example.com or (303) 384-8026. Changing your information on our payment website does NOT change your billing information.
8. I changed my information on the online payment portal, why has my account not been updated?
Changing your information or removing your account on the payment portal does NOT change your billing information, nor discontinue your service. To change your information or discontinue service, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (303) 384-8026.
9. Can I go paperless?
Yes! To receive bills electronically, please contact us at email@example.com or (303) 384-8026.
10. My water is off, how do I get it back on?
If water is disconnected for lack of payment, water will only be reconnected between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. on business days, after payment has been received in full. Please contact us at (303) 384-8026.
11. What do I do if I have a water or wastewater emergency?
For water emergencies, Utilities Division personnel are available 24/7/365 at (303) 384-8158 to respond to any water or sewer system emergencies.
12. Do you have a trash or recycling inquiry?
Visit our trash and recycling page for more information.