The City of Golden has become a regular part of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge™, as well as the final stop for the Ride the Rockies circuit this year. Golden has a long relationship with bicycling, and offers much to recommend it to bicyclists of all ages and skill levels (see our Bicycling in Golden page for a more expansive list!), but Golden is also much more than a bicycler’s paradise. Nestled between the mountains and two scenic mesas, you’re guaranteed a beautiful backdrop no matter where in Golden you are lucky enough to find yourself.
The City offers a wide array of activities and attractions for residents and visitors alike:
- Cool off when the sun is high at Splash Water Park, or learn to kayak in the Clear Creek Whitewater Park.
- Stretch your wings and soak up the view in a tandem paraglider jump from Lookout Mountain.
- Embrace your inner golf pro at Fossil Trace Golf Club.
- Learn about the gold rush at the Golden History Museums, or the history of mountaineering at the American Mountaineering Museum.
- Hike or mountain bike one of the beautiful trails in and around the city.
- Sign up for any of the City’s many recreation classes or activities.
When you’re ready to take it down a notch, the downtown area offers shopping and dining options, and pleasant patios for a leisurely break with coffee or a cold beer. Or just settle yourself in any of the city’s many downtown parks and enjoy a picnic! In the winter, Golden makes a great basecamp for skiers headed to the many ski resorts found up I-70. The hills closer to home also supply miles of trails for snowshoers and cross-country skiers. For those who crave outdoor adventure and a small town flavor by day, but enjoy the lights of the city by night, downtown Denver is only a short drive to the east, with enough excitement on hand every day of the week to keep any night-owl entertained. Whatever your age, energy level, or interest, you won’t be bored in Golden!