The Golden Fire Department (GFD), in coordination with the City Manager, is issuing temporary Stage 2 fire restrictions for the City of Golden, effective at 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 25. This is in alignment with restrictions already in place for Jefferson County.
Golden Fire has responded to numerous reports of outside (recreational) fires in the past few weeks. In light of the fact that we are expecting red flag weather this weekend, GFD believes the extra precautions are necessary to ensure safety and eliminate confusion between county and city restrictions.
Under Stage 2 restrictions, the following activities are prohibited: Building, maintaining, attending or using any outdoor fire including recreational fire on private property outside of the exemptions noted, and any public property as determined by administrative rule of the City Manager. This includes chimineas and fire pits of any kind.
Exemptions under this Stage 2 fire ban include:
- Use of liquid or gas fueled appliances
- Approved and enclosed wood pellet grills
- Charcoal barbeque grills not closer than 30 feet from an undeveloped area
- GFD requires that all contractors and/or work performed within the City that may include Hot Work Permits or other activities that may produce sparks or flames during work, must contact GFD for special permits and approval.
- Open fires or open burning by any federal, state, or local officer in the performance of official live fire training or suppression functions.
Failure to comply with the restrictions of this temporary Stage 2 fire ban is a violation of Section 110.1 of the Fire Code (Section 16.04.055 of the Golden Municipal Code). Violations are punishable by a fine not exceeding $2,650 or imprisonment for a period of not more than six months in jail, or by both fine and imprisonment, if convicted.
These temporary fire ban restrictions shall remain in effect until superseded or rescinded by order of the Fire Chief.