All businesses operating in the City of Golden must obtain a Sales & Use Tax License, unless the business only has economic nexus. This includes professional services, charitable operations, home businesses, temporary vendors and door-to-door solicitors. If a retail business only has economic nexus, the City of Golden requires the abbreviated Remote Seller information Form. There is no application fee associated with the Remote Seller Form.
Sales & Use Tax License Guidelines
- Even businesses that do not “sell” anything must obtain a City license.
- A separate license is needed for each location in Golden.
- Licenses are nontransferable.
- The license fee is $20 and covers a two year period ending on December 31 of each even numbered calendar year.
- Charitable organizations must license but are exempt from the license fee.
- Temporary vendors and special events must pay a $50 deposit for their license. The $50 is refunded when they turn in their sales and use tax return for the event.
- The licensing process insures that the City has current notification information and that the area is properly zoned for that business activity.
- Door-to-door solicitors are encouraged to have a copy of their license with them.
- Any person who purchases or establishes a business inside the city shall file an initial use tax return.
Remote Seller Guidelines
If a retail business only has economic nexus, the City of Golden requires the abbreviated Remote Seller information Form. There is no application fee associated with the Remote Seller Form.