The City allows the keeping of certain domestic animals with the approval of a Small Animal License.
Animals allowed with a license
- The keeping of up to 6 chicken hens
- Beehives for domesticated honeybees
- Dwarf miniature goats
- Pot-bellied pigs
- Rabbits, chinchillas, or ducks
Municipal code requirements
- Section 18.26.060 Backyard Chickens
- Section 18.26.070 Beekeeping
- Section 18.26.080 Dwarf Goats and Pot-bellied Pigs
- Section 18.26.090 Rabbits, Chinchillas, and Ducks
Required materials for applying
- Fill out and submit a Small Animal License Application using our Online Permitting Citizen Portal (register for an account to see application options.)
- $45 made payable to the City of Golden
- One legible copy of the recorded warranty deed for the property reflecting ownership – OR – A letter of authorization from the owner if applicant is other than
- A written letter describing the request which includes what measures will be taken to create a predator resistant environment
- One copy of a site plan of the property noting the location of the coup, hive or cage
- Distance from the property line is required to ensure appropriate setbacks
- Pictures, sketches or diagrams of the proposed structure including dimensions and square footage
Please give us five (5) business days to accept your application and get back to you via phone or email.
The Small Animal License is not subject to renewal but can be suspended or revoked if the city determines the property is not in compliance with the code requirements.